Faculty of Science
Work Health and Safety -
Chemical Safety (Hazardous Chemicals)
In the event of a serious chemical spill please contact security (9850) 9999. The Safety Data Sheet should be consulted and made available for Emergency personnel.
Please discuss other concerns regarding hazardous substances with your supervisor in the first instance or your Health and Safety Representitive (HSR)or committe members or a member of the Health & Safety team
Chemical ordering processs
Prior to purchase if you have not already done so, you will need to print and read the chemical/product(s) Safety Data Sheet (SDS). If the product is hazardous determine if there is a non-hazardous or less hazardous substitute.
For each of the hazardous chemical(s) you will need to complete a Hazardous Chemical Risk Assessment and have it signed off by your supervisor.
Policies / Schedules/Procedures
- The general Hazardous Chemical Safety Induction consists of two modules: an online component and a practical component. This training is mandatory for all personnel with access to areas where chemicals / hazardous substances are used. To enroll in the module details must be provided to the Health and Safety team. For further information consult the Health and Safety @ Macquarie page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hydrofluoric Acid Induction (note: no staff member is to use HF without completing this induction under supervision. Please contact David Inglis for assistance) . See also the NOHSC guidelines for use of Hydrogen Fluoride (Hydrofluoric Acid) and see the case study on a death from HF in Western Australia
Chemical Spill Response
- Chemical Spill Response Guidline (for all spills consult Safety Data Sheet)
- Hazard report form (report any unsafe practice or situation e.g. unlabelled chemicals, leaks, spills, smells etc.
- Hazardous Substances Compliance Declaration (Located under Chemical Ordering Forms. Complete each time a chemical/substance is purchased)
- Hazardous Chemical Risk Assessment Form (complete for each HS used for each process/method applied)
- Hazardous Substances Waste Inventory (located at F7A - use to log waste left in F7A. If new form is needed pls advise Mark Gatus ext. 8214)
- Unattended Experiment / Reaction Form
- SDS Online (find an SDS using the ChemAlert database)
- Safe work Australia Hazardous Substances Information System
- List of Designated Hazardous Substances
- Safe Work Australia Hazardous Chemicals ( Link to Safe Work Australia for information on Hazardous chemicals)
- NOHSC Guidance Notes & National Codes
Did you find what you were looking for? For further information, clarification or to make suggestions about this site please contact email@example.com