Faculty of Science
The following information will assist you to budget for, advertise, select and (re)appoint staff. Your Cluster/Department administration are available to assist with specific enquiries and will refer to the Faculty HR Manager if required. The main steps are:
- Decide on what type of appointment to make - information on this page will help you determine whether you need to make an academic or professional staff appointment and whether it will be continuing, fixed-term (full or part-time) or casual (ad hoc hours).
- Do a budget - this link includes spreadhseets with annual, weekly and hourly salary rates to assist calculations
- Advertise - this page provides information on whether you are required to advertise and if so, how to go about it.
- Select - guidance on how to conduct the selection process
- Appoint / reappoint - guidance on the process for appointing or reappointing once you have found the right person for the job
- Appointing candidates who do not have rights to work in Australia
- Selection criteria for casual academic positions
- Position Descriptions
- Link to HR Policies
APPROVAL PROCESS FOR ADVERTISING/APPOINTMENT/REAPPOINTMENT
The Faculty approval process for all hiring including requests to advertise, new direct appointments, reappointments and renewals has been documented in the attached. In summary
all hiring action on operating funds is to be
- Recommended by the HOD or area Mgr (eg Faculty Mgr Tech Services, Faculty Mgr IT etc)
- Forwarded to Faculty HR Officer, Catherine McDonald (E7A102), with appropriate supporting documentation, for review by the Faculty HR Mgr and Faculty FGM and approval by the Executive Dean
all hires on project funds are to be
- Recommended by the chief investigator
- Approved by the HOD (up to 12 months) OR Endorsed by the HOD (more than 12 months)
- Forwarded to Faculty HR Officer, Catherine McDonald (E7A102), with appropriate documentation (grant conditions, evidence of funding and cost etc), for review by the Faculty HR Manager and approval by Exec Dean (more than 12 months).