Skip to Content

Faculty of Science

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequenty asked questions and answers by category.


Leave/Absences (for further information see the leave page)
Q: How can I cancel my leave without pay after it has been approved?
A: Prepare a memo to the Head of Department advising that you wish to cancel approved leave and the reason why. Include your staff number and dates you applied for. Obtain your supervisor's endorsement and forward to the Head of Department for approval. If approved HOD will forward to HR for action.

Q: My annual leave has been approved and now I want to change the dates /cancel. How do I do this.
A: Discuss the matter with your supervisor. If he/she agrees then put through an online cancellation.

Q: I was called back to work while on annual leave. Can these days be recredited?
A: As above, discuss the matter with your supervisor. If he/she agrees then put through an online cancellation and application for any new dates you have agreed on with your supervisor.

Q: I am on Leave Without Pay and wish to return to work before the end of the approved period.
A: You will need to write to the Head of Department, with as much notice as possible, advising the date you wish to return and the reason why. Approval to return before the end of the approved leave will depend on what arrangements were made to cover the workload in your absence and whether funding is available.

Q: I was sick while on leave. Can these days be recredited?
A: Sick leave while on Annual Leave can be recredited as long as a certificate from a registered medical practitioner or hospital is provided for all dates you wish to claim. Complete the usual leave application form with a note in the comments section that you were on leave at the time.

Q: I have been called for jury duty. What do I have to do?
Let your supervisor know. While away you will be paid normal salary. If the sheriff's office gives you the option of being paid for your time on duty please elect to receive payment, particularly if you are paid on research grant funds. On your return to work you must complete a leave form for the period and attach proof of attendance. You must pay to the University Cashier any monies received for the jury duty less any amounts for meals and travel. The cashiers office will need to see your proof of attendance and will need your salary account code (ask your supervisor).

Q: I had an accident on the way to work/at work. What forms do I fill out.
A: Staff are covered by worker's compensation for accidents on the journey. You or your supervisor, if you are unable to do this yourself, must complete the online incident report form within 24 hours of the accident.

[Back to top]


Recruitment & Salary Budgeting
Q: I want to employ a student. What rate should I pay?
A: Rates of pay are determined by evaluating the work over a number of dimensions including training and qualifications required to do the job, level of supervision needed and judgement, independence and problem solving skills. These are defined for various levels in the General Staff Position Classification Descriptors at attachment 5 of the MU Enterprise Agreement. For more information contact your Cluster/Department Team Leader.

Q: What are the on-costs for the person I want to employ on a grant?
A: See the oncosts published at

Q: The Enterprise Agreement (Schedule2) indicates casual rates 'inclusive of 23% loading'. Does it include all on costs that my account will be responsible for?
A: All casuals receive a 23% loading in lieu of annual leave and sick leave as part of their hourly rate. You must still budget for the on-cost that will be charged to your account.

Q: I want to employ a research assistant. Will this be an academic or general appointment?
A: Apply the tests on the appointment grid.

Q: I want to employ a casual research assistant. What forms do I need?
A: Apply the tests on the appointment grid to determine if a casual appointment is the most appropriate. Use forms as advised in the appointment grid.

[Back to top]

Q How do I get Reporting Lines Changed
A. Reporting lines are usually established or amended when positions are created or reviewed. In HRIS positions report to positions. The most effective way to ensure that reporting lines are recorded correctly is to ensure that the supervisor name and position number are recorded on the appointment documentation.  

Process for reviewing a reporting relationship

1. Supervisor or staff member may raise the appropriateness of the reporting relationship. Supervisor needs to discuss proposed change with staff member. Consider staff member's comments, make decision and advise staff member.  Decision does need to be documented.
2. In consultation with Faculty HR, amend the position description accordingly. Complete Position Evaluation form, tick "minimal change- no evaluation required", document the change in comments area, and sign.
3. Forward amended PD and position evaluation form to Faculty HR Manager [ The HR Manager will obtain Exec Dean approval and forward the documentation to HR for recording.]
5. Complete Change of Reporting Lines Form (4.08a) and forward to Central HR - Anne Kumanan (our Human Resources Officer) for HRIS update.
6. New supervisor - check HR Online team management that change has been recorded.

Payroll/Payment Summaries
Q: I didn't get my Payment Summary (group certificate). How can I get one?
A: Payment summaries are distributed in the last pay of the financial year to your pigeon hole or home address. To obtain a replacement please complete the Application for Replacement Payment Summary. If you changed address during the year and did not notify the University please also complete the Change of Personal Details form.

Q: Why wasn't the 9% superannuation recorded on my payslip?

For casual employees superannuation contributions are made if the salary for a calendar month is more than $450. The contribution is made in the first pay after the end of the month. For salary received in the month of September, a contribution will be made in the first pay in October. See further information in the pages for casuals

[Back to top]


Change of Personal Details
Q: I have changed address. How do I advise the University?
A: Complete the Change of Personal Details form and send to Human Resources, C4B, or fax to 9850 9748 OR update your address at HR Online. Note that to be eligible to take a moving day you must attache a Change of Personal Details form to your leave application.

Q: I have a new degree. How do I get this recognised by the University?
A: Complete the Change of Personal Details form and send to Human Resources, C4B, or fax to 9850 9748.


Employer superannuation contributions

For casual staff
The university must make employer superannuation contributions for casual staff to UniSuper at the rate of 9.25% of ordinary time earnings for a casual staff member. This applies where the wages are $450 or more per calendar month or where the person earns less than $450 per calendar month but more than $2,135 in either of the 6 month periods betwen 1 January and 30 June or 1 July and 31 December each year.

Unisuper will set up a member account when they receive contributions from the University. They will then write to casual staff member to advise them of membership details. There may be up to 3 months timelag.

UniSuper invests employer superannuation contributions in the Balanced strategy unless otherwise directed. Casuals wishing to nominate a different strategy need to contact UniSuper directly. The UniSuper web site is

For staff who are leaving Australia permanently
Staff who have not reached retirement age and are leaving Australia permanently may make an application to have their superannuation funds paid to them. The application must be made to the relevant superannuation company (eg UniSuper) and it must be made from overseas after leaving Australia.

 Hosting a School/College Work Experience Student
There is no specific policy on having school or college work experience students on campus.  The following are guidelines to ensure this does not interfere with workplace operations and student safety and well being:

1. Host to provide work area manager with a brief overview of the work experience plan (length of program, what the student will do, who will supervise the student and any impacts this will have on normal operations etc) and obtain work area manager approval (can all be done by email); 
2. Host to complete required documentation from the School/College and to ensure the school has formally approved the work experience;
3. Host to obtain contact details of  student''s parents or other responsible adult and to be aware ahead of time of any special medical issues - allergies, etc,
3. Host to supervise or ensure adequate supervision of student at all times while on campus;
4. Host to ensure the student undertakes Faculty and University online OHS induction and understands safety requirements in the work area.
5. Students may have supervised visits to labs but not while any potentially hazardous activities are being undertaken.  Students are not to participate in or undertake any high-risk activities.

Ensure that you have the contact details of  his parents and be aware ahead of time of any special medical issues - allergies, etc, and make sure the school has formally approved the work experience.