- 1997 PhD in Astrophysics supervised by M.J. Barlow and P.J. Storey. University College London. London, UK.
- 1994 BSc in Astrophysics (1st class honours degree, Best Astronomy student). University College London.
- 1990 International Baccalaureate, United World College of the Adriatic. Duino, Italy.
- 85-88 Italian Scientific High School. Bologna, Italy.
- March 2015 - present Professor, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- January 2013 - December 2016 ARC Future Fellow, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- March 2009 - March 2015 Associate Professor, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- 2005 - 2008 Consultant Large Synoptic Survey Telescope education and public
outreach consultant and liaison to American Museum of Natural History (AMNH)
- September 2000 - February 2009 Research Fellow AMNH
- September 2000 - February 2009 Science Bulletins content adviser, AMNH
- April 1999 - August 2000. Research Fellow, University College London
- October 1997 - April 1999. Research Fellow, Institute of Astronomy, ETH Zentrum, Zurich
- June 1991 - September 1991. Royal Yachting Association, Sailing Instructor
Grants (as PI or significant co-I with funding) and Awards
- 2012 Australian Research Council Discovery Project: "David and Goliath, what planets do to the stars that created them"
- 2012 Australian Research Council Future Fellowship: "Binary interactions lightcurves"
- 2008 HST "Planetary Nebulae, Globular Clusters and Binary Mergers. Part II"
- 2008 Spitzer "The Disks around PG1159 Stars."
- 2007 HST Theory (co-I) "Beyond the textbook:
Planetary Nebula temporal evolution."
- 2006 HST "Planetary Nebulae, Globular Clusters and Binary Mergers".
- 2006 NSF "Stellar Duets - How companions change the lives and evolution of stars"
- 2004 HST "The shadow echo of the unique R
Corona Borealis star UW Cen."
- 2003 HST "A Tailored ACS search for proplyds".
- 2001 FUSE "Abundance variability in WD in DN systems".
- 2000 Isaac Asimov research fellowship (AMNH).
- 2000 HST "C/O ratios in PN with christalline silicates and PAHs".
- 1994 Perren Fund PhD Scholarship
- 1994 Maude Pierce award for women achievers in (University College London)
- 1994 Best Astronomy degree
- 1993 Best second year undergraduate project
- 1988 Full Scholarship, United World Colleges
- 2015-2016 Astronomy Australian Limited computr time allocation committee
- 2016 Astronomy Australian Limited Computer Infrastructure Working Group
- 2015-present International Astronomical Union Committee on Planetary Nebulae
- 2007-1010 NOAO Telescope Allocation Committee
- 2007 Hydrogen-deficient Stars III - Scientific Organizing Committee
- 2007 Asymmetric PN IV - Scientific Organizing Committee
- 2004-2005 AAS Travel Grant Panel
- 2001, 2008 HST TAC, Cycle 12 and 17 (could not attend latter)
- 2000, 2002 FUSE TAC, Cycle 2 and 4
- Astronomical Society of Australia
- American Astronomical Society
Teaching and Outreach Experience
- Public speaker (e.g., Einstein Lecture )
- Undergraduate and post-graduate thesis supervisor
- Undergraduate and post-graduate course lecturer
- Laboratory demonstrating, marking and tutoring
- Teaching Astronomy to children and teachers in a museum and university enviroment
- Teaching distance learning courses
- Giving museum tours
- Course writing for a variety off formal and informal audiences
- Sailing instructing
Last Updated: 15 April 2016